Hello from China!
Before we get too far, I realized that some of you may not know which camp team the person you are following is serving on. Here is the list of camp teams:
Hohhot Team: Curt J., Gary W., Kathryn D., Aaron C., Jennifer H., Kathleen K., Terryn F., Jill H., Jo Croff., Bob C., Kelsey H., Liz C., Emilie F., Caleb R., Elena H., Chad Z., Nick T., Cassondra P., Ariel G., Rachel Sathrum, Anna M., Don B., Tony F., Zach M., Bonnie J., Allissa S.
Zheng Zhou Team: Lissie W., Rachel W., Charlene D., Brian K., Judith W., Julia D.
Fuzhou Team: Dennis H., Sam R., Autumn S., Brittany C., Terryll F., Katelyn B., Clif P., Chesea O., Matt D., Carmen P., Emily D., Connor O.
Fang Shan Team: Rachel H., Rachel G., Rachel Staton, Laura D., Christina L., David G., Andrew F.
We also have four others who will be joining us in a couple of weeks: Beth C., Lacey S., Katie F., and Tyler W.
Here is a message written by Elena, one of our teachers on the Hohhot Team:
Jello: We are learning flexibility as we set up camp in Hohhot. The pace is fast. We arrived in China Friday, got to Hohhot Saturday, and started camp on Sunday. Schedules, living quarters and teaching plans have all changed. But it's so worth it, as we come together as a team and meet our students.
With 240 kids, 26 of us, many translators, and Gary running around with squirt guns and a bull horn, there is never a dull moment! I am surprised by the food, which we (mostly) enjoy. I love it that I can't rely on my own strength here. I am overwhelmed by grace in my classroom, where the unexpected happens. (Imagine trying to explain to a group of 10-16 year olds how to do a trust fall--and they don't understand what you are saying!) I am in awe of Hohhot, where people ride bikes and scooters all over the city, and eat at sidewalk restaurants late at night.
Our team got to spend a short but great time alone today (Monday). A rainbow appeared in the sky tonight as we played games ith the kids. I am holding on to that as a reminder that we are not alone.
A message from Kathi (Hohhot team): Dan, you don't have to worry. I (and all the rest of the team) have real beds to sleep in!
From Judith & Rachel (Zheng Zhou team): We are working with bright students at a very nice school. We are both beginning to build friendships with the students and hope to continue this. As you think about us, please hope for sleep, friendship, and clear teaching. Thank you for all the support. Love Judith & Rachel.
From Charlene & Julia (Zheng Zhou team): Ni Hao! Jules, family and friends: We are having an amazing time with our new friends--American and Chinese. We have a wonderful school, hotel and students. We are all learning so much. Food is great, and we are all healthy and getting over jet lag. Julia has a wonderful rapport with her lead teacher and her students. I am learning more than I can post-- Just know that we are very well taken care of and are feeling your love all the way from China. Something for fun: We started Tai Qi lessons today... very relaxing. Day two went over very smoothly and even though we have a small team, everyone is working well together.
Thanks for following our team! The Fuzhou team has been in Beijing for the past several days. They climbed the Great Wall yesterday (Tuesday), and they are planning on leaving Thursday on a long train ride to Fuzhou!
Keep following for more posts!
Curt Jones
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great to hear the news. I am thinking of you all daily, although, with the time change, it never seems to be during teaching time.
ReplyDeleteIt is so good to hear from everyone. I am glad that all is going well. I know that the children are having a wonderful time, as well as the teams. I too am thinking of you daily as many of our friends are too. I wake up in the middle of the night wondering what is going on with you all and wonder how it would be to be there with you all. Enjoy and know that there are many thoughts coming your way.
ReplyDeleteI love you Caleb and have fun!!!!
If Kathi K can read this....things are wacky here. We miss you like mad! I want to call you at least twice a day. Dan lost a tooth (and got it fixed), I accidentally gave away a generator for free (a sad but hysterical tale), your grandson turned 15, and I passed my motorcycle class! All's well and we love you!!!
ReplyDeleteTo Mr. Harley and Sammy
ReplyDeletei miss you guys soo much! be safe and know we are praying for you! i love you guys!(sooooo muchhh)